- 1 loaf (1 pound) Italian bread
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3/4 pound sliced deli turkey
- 6 ounces provolone cheese, thinly sliced
- 1 jar (7 ounces) roasted sweet red peppers, drained and sliced
- 1/2 cup sliced pimiento-stuffed olives
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- 3 tablespoons shredded Romano cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Cut bread in half lengthwise; carefully hollow out top and bottom, leaving a 1-in. shell (discard removed bread or save for another use).
- In a small bowl, combine the oil, vinegar, basil, garlic, salt and pepper flakes; brush over cut sides of bread.
- In the bottom bread shell, layer with turkey, provolone cheese, red peppers, olives and tomato. Sprinkle with Romano cheese, oregano and pepper. Replace bread top.
- Wrap in plastic wrap; refrigerate for 30 minutes. Cut into slices. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forTurkey Muffuletta
"Lovely and filling."
"My husband and I love this sandwich. I love all the combination of flavors. To cut down on cost, I make my own roasted red peppers. So yummy!"
"This is wonderful! Very filling!"
"What a great recipe this is. My family also LOVES it! I omitted the red pepper flakes and green olives but added sliced red onion and mild banana peppers and it was amazing. An absolute favorite!!"
"My family absolutely LOVES this recipe."