This recipe proves that leftover holiday turkey doesn't have to be lifeless! Liven up your extra turkey with a creamy Swiss cheese sauce and tender asparagus over toasted bread.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 3/4 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 4 slices white bread, toasted
- 4 slices cooked turkey breast
- 1 can (15 ounces) asparagus spears, drained
- 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a large saucepan, combine the butter, flour, salt and pepper over medium heat until smooth and butter is melted. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat. Add Swiss cheese; stir until melted.
- Place bread in a shallow baking pan; top with the turkey, asparagus and about 1/2 cup sauce on each sandwich. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Broil 4-6 in. from the heat for 4-6 minutes or until browned and bubbly.
Originally published as Turkey Mornay in Home-Style Soups, Salad and Sandwiches Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.