- 2/3 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 pound ground turkey
- 1/2 pound hot Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) Italian stewed tomatoes
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1-1/2 cups cooked elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- Pinch pepper
- In a large kettle over medium heat, saute onion in oil until tender, about 4 minutes. Add the next six ingredients; cook until meat is no longer pink. Add tomatoes, broth, zucchini and mixed vegetables; cover and cook on low heat for 5 minutes. Add beans, macaroni, vinegar, salt if desired and pepper; simmer for 3-4 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 16 servings (4 quarts).
Reviews forTurkey Minestrone
"This looked like a lot of trouble to make, but was very simple. It has fast become one of my favorites for cold nights. Makes more than enough to freeze for a second dinner."
"This was so girls my kids even enjoyed it. I skipped the parsley because I didn't have any though. The spicy sausage gives it just the right amount of kick."