Turkey Meatball Soup
From Bellevue, Kentucky, Randal Robert Wilson shares a speedy soup that stars tasty meatballs made from ground turkey. Cook it up to feed a crowd...or freeze leftovers for future fuss-free meals.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 10 min.
Makes12 servings (3 quarts)
- 1/4 cup cooked rice
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 pound ground turkey breast
- 6 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup uncooked fine egg noodles
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt, optional
- 1/8 teaspoon dill weed
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- In a bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Add turkey; mix well. Shape into 1-in. balls. Place meatballs on two racks that have coated with cooking spray in shallow baking pans. Bake, uncovered, at 450° for 15 minutes or until turkey is no longer pink; drain. In a Dutch oven or large soup kettle, bring broth to a boil. Add meatballs, noodles, pepper, garlic salt if desired and dill; return to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until noodles are tender. Stir in parsley.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 65 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 77mg sodium, 5g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 9g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 lean meat, 1/2 starch.
Originally published as Turkey Meatball Soup in Quick Cooking May/June 1998
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.