Turkey Meatball Gyros
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 3/4 cup reduced-fat plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup finely chopped peeled cucumber
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 8 whole wheat pita pocket halves
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- In a large bowl, combine the bread crumbs, egg and seasonings. Crumble turkey over mixture and mix well. Shape into 16 balls.
- Place meatballs on a rack coated with cooking spray in a shallow baking pan. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until no longer pink.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the yogurt, cucumber, onion and lemon juice. Line pitas with lettuce and tomatoes; add meatballs and drizzle with yogurt sauce.
Nutrition Facts2 filled pita pocket halves: 439 calories, 14g fat (4g saturated fat), 145mg cholesterol, 975mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 6g fiber), 32g protein.
Nov 27, 2012
The turkey meatballs could have used a bit more spice, but good nonetheless. I was impressed at the tzatziki--who knew that sauce was so easy to make?
Aug 31, 2012
These were amazing, and even my husband who usually detests ground turkey asked me to make it again. Wow!
Aug 19, 2012
Really easy and good!
Aug 2, 2012
I actually only made the meatballs out of this, but let me tell you: They were awesome.
Jul 23, 2012
To save time, I used pre-made frozen turkey meatballs from the store, and then just baked them. Recipe turned out great!