Turkey Mashed Potato Chimis
A little creative recycling will take your post-holiday morsels from boring to brilliant. A homemade sauce of pumpkin puree and chipotle peppers gives these delicious chimis a spicy-sweet finish.—Sherri Gordon, Olmsted Falls, Ohio
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups cubed cooked turkey breast
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 12 flour tortillas (8 inches), warmed
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted
- CHIPOTLE PUMPKIN SAUCE:
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon minced chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 1 cup salsa
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- Mash potatoes with butter, cream, salt and pepper. Stir in the turkey and cheese.
- Brush tortillas with melted butter. Place 2/3 cup potato mixture down the center of each tortilla. Fold sides and ends over filling and roll up. Place seam side down in two greased 13x9-in. baking dishes. Brush with leftover melted butter.
- Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 35-40 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.
- In a small saucepan, combine the sauce ingredients; heat through (do not boil). Drizzle over chimichangas before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 467 calories, 23g fat (13g saturated fat), 98mg cholesterol, 629mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 26g protein.
Originally published as Turkey Potato Chimi's with Spicy Pumpkin Cream Sauce in Country Woman October/November 2012
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.