Turkey in Mushroom Sauce
If you like a traditional turkey dinner for Thanksgiving but don't like all the fuss, here's a recipe that fills the bill. It's easy to make and tastes very good.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 1-1/2 hours
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 turkey thighs (4 to 5 pounds)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups chopped fresh mushrooms
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 cups turkey or chicken broth
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- Hot cooked noodles
- In a bowl or resealable plastic bag, combine flour, salt and pepper. Add turkey, one piece at a time; dredge or shake to coat.
- In a skillet, brown turkey in oil. Add mushrooms, onions and thyme. Combine the broth and tomato paste until smooth; pour over turkey.
- Cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours or until the turkey juices run clear; skim fat. Stir in sour cream; heat through (do not boil). Serve over noodles.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 464 calories, 20g fat (7g saturated fat), 205mg cholesterol, 1252mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 49g protein.
Originally published as Turkey in Mushroom Sauce in Country Extra November 1996
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.