Turkey Enchilada Casserole
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 jar (16 ounces) salsa
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Mexican stewed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon each onion powder, garlic powder and ground cumin
- 12 corn tortillas (6 inches)
- 2 cups shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese, divided
- In a large nonstick saucepan coated with cooking spray, cook turkey, green pepper and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Stir in beans, salsa, tomato sauce, tomatoes, onion powder, garlic powder and cumin. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spread 1 cup meat sauce into a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Top with six tortillas. Spread with half the remaining meat sauce; sprinkle with 1 cup cheese. Layer with remaining tortillas and meat sauce.
- Cover and bake 20 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until bubbly and cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 318 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 52mg cholesterol, 936mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 7g fiber), 21g protein.
Dec 27, 2018
This was an easy way to use up turkey leftovers from Thanksgiving. I used the shredded turkey meat and did everything else exactly the way the recipe indicated. It was well received.
Jul 26, 2017
Fabulous! This was a HUGE hit tonight!
Dec 3, 2015
Mar 27, 2015
When our Daughter-in-law made this for the family I knew I had to have the recipe too. It is healthy and easy.
Feb 24, 2015
Excellent recipe. Although I did use flour tortillas and less cheese.
Oct 22, 2014
This was good.
May 20, 2014
Excellent! Made exactly as recipe states.
Nov 19, 2013
Very good recipe. My son used to be a chef and I asked him what he thought and he really liked it. The taste might be different depending on the salsa and canned items you use. Also used flour tortillas . I would recommend having sour cream as a topping. Definitely a keeper
Sep 29, 2013
I make this without the peppers and use Whole grain and white corn tortillas from The Tortilla Factory. It's a fantastic thing to make at home or for a party.
Feb 5, 2013
I'm not a big fan of Mexican type food, but this was great! Even my 2 and 5 yr olds gobbled it up.