- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 jar (16 ounces) salsa
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Mexican stewed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon each onion powder, garlic powder and ground cumin
- 12 corn tortillas (6 inches)
- 2 cups shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese, divided
- In a large nonstick saucepan coated with cooking spray, cook turkey, green pepper and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Stir in beans, salsa, tomato sauce, tomatoes, onion powder, garlic powder and cumin. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spread 1 cup meat sauce into a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Top with six tortillas. Spread with half the remaining meat sauce; sprinkle with 1 cup cheese. Layer with remaining tortillas and meat sauce.
- Cover and bake 20 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until bubbly and cheese is melted. Yield: 10 servings.
Reviews forTurkey Enchilada Casserole
"Fabulous! This was a HUGE hit tonight!"
"Excellent recipe. Although I did use flour tortillas and less cheese."
"This was good."
"Excellent! Made exactly as recipe states."
"Very good recipe. My son used to be a chef and I asked him what he thought and he really liked it. The taste might be different depending on the salsa and canned items you use. Also used flour tortillas . I would recommend having sour cream as a topping. Definitely a keeper"
"I make this without the peppers and use Whole grain and white corn tortillas from The Tortilla Factory. It's a fantastic thing to make at home or for a party."
"I'm not a big fan of Mexican type food, but this was great! Even my 2 and 5 yr olds gobbled it up."