For a change of pace from usual sandwiches, try these dill-seasoned subs from Violet Beard of Marshall, Illinois. "You can use salmon or pickled herring tidbits instead of turkey to make them like a Swedish hero," she adds.
Recommended: 50 Dinners for Serious Bread Lovers
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 4 tablespoons snipped fresh dill or 4 teaspoons dill weed
- 8 submarine buns (about 8 inches each), split
- Lettuce leaves
- 12 radishes, thinly sliced
- 2 cups thinly sliced zucchini or cucumber
- 2 to 3 teaspoons cider vinegar, optional
- 2 to 3 pounds thinly sliced deli smoked turkey
- In a small bowl, combine butter and dill; spread on sub buns. Layer the lettuce, radishes and zucchini on bottom of buns. Sprinkle with vinegar if desired. Top with turkey; replace bun tops. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Turkey Dill Subs in Quick Cooking July/August 2002, p53