Every year, my husband and I look forward to Thanksgiving leftovers just so we can make this sandwich. Once you try it, I'm sure you will agree that this is the best turkey sandwich ever! —Cleo Gonske, Redding, California
Recommended: Our Berriest Breakfasts
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 8 slices egg bread
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 10 ounces thinly sliced cooked turkey
- 6 ounces smoked Gouda cheese, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup whole-berry cranberry sauce
- 3 large eggs
- 1/3 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 teaspoons butter
- 3 teaspoons canola oil
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spread four slices of bread with mustard. Layer with turkey and cheese. Spread remaining bread with cranberry sauce; place on cheese.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk eggs, milk, salt and pepper. In a large skillet, heat 1-1/2 teaspoons each butter and oil over medium heat until butter is melted. Dip two sandwiches in egg mixture; add to skillet. Cook until golden brown, 2-3 minutes per side. Repeat with remaining butter, oil and sandwiches.
- Transfer sandwiches to a baking sheet. Bake until cheese is melted, 4-5 minutes. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Turkey-Cranberry Monte Cristo in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2017, p73