Turkey-Cheese Macaroni Bake Recipe
- 1 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cups fat-free milk
- 2 cups cubed cooked turkey breast
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
- 1. Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a saucepan, saute the onion in butter. Add the flour, salt, pepper and thyme; stir until blended. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Drain macaroni; add the white sauce, turkey and cheese. Transfer to a 2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- 2. Combine the topping ingredients; sprinkle over casserole. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until heated through. Place under broiler for about 5 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 6 servings.
1 cup: 307 calories, 11g fat (7g saturated fat), 72mg cholesterol, 363mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 25g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.