“People really like this. The sweet onion relish is a little different, which makes this a great meal for entertaining. I often form the turkey mix for these burgers into hot dog shapes for a fun alternative.” —Rebecca Magnuson, San Diego, California
Recommended: 34 Incredible Burgers to Grill This Summer
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 egg whites
- 1-1/2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground turkey
- 6 whole wheat hamburger buns, split
- In a small skillet, combine the first eight ingredients. Cook, uncovered, over medium heat for 10-15 minutes or until onions are tender, stirring occasionally. Set aside.
- For burgers, in a large bowl, combine the egg whites, poultry seasoning and pepper. Crumble turkey over mixture and mix well. Shape into six patties.
- Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack. Grill burgers, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 5-7 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 165° and juices run clear. Serve on buns with relish. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Turkey Burgers with Sweet Onion Relish in Healthy Cooking August/September 2010, p55