Turkey Burgers with Jalapeno Cheese Sauce
This is a lighter version of a tasty burger that people enjoyed at a place I once worked. I substituted the beef with turkey and used low-fat cheese, but the results are tastier than the original crowd-pleaser. —Vicki Schurk of Hamden, Connecticut
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 3 slices whole wheat bread, torn
- 1 cup fat-free milk, divided
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground turkey
- 1-1/4 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 6 whole wheat hamburger buns, split
- 6 lettuce leaves
- 6 slices tomato
- In a large bowl, soak bread in 1/2 cup milk for 1 minute. Add the garlic, mustard, salt and pepper. Crumble turkey over mixture and mix well. Shape into six patties; set aside.
- In a small saucepan, combine flour and remaining milk until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Add cheese and jalapeno; stir until cheese is melted. Keep warm.
- Lightly oil the grill rack. Grill patties, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 5-7 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 165° and juices run clear.
- Serve on buns with lettuce, tomato and jalapeno cheese sauce.