Turkey Burgers with Caramelized Onions
"Worchestershire and hot pepper sauce add extra flavor to these moist turkey burgers, " notes Phyl Broich-Wessling of Garner, Iowa, "And the sweet-savory onion topping makes the sandwich something special,"
Total TimePrep: 2 hours Grill: 10 min.
- 2 large sweet onions, cut into 1/8-inch slices
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh thyme or 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1-1/4 pounds lean ground turkey
- 6 hamburger buns, split
- In a large nonstick skillet over low heat, cook onions in oil and butter for 1 hour or until tender, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle with the sugar, salt and pepper; cook over medium-low heat for 45-60 minutes or until golden brown, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle with thyme; keep warm.
- In a large bowl, combine the green onions, Worcestershire sauce and pepper sauce; crumble turkey over mixture and mix well. Shape into six patties.
- Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack. Grill burgers, covered, over medium-hot heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 5-7 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 165° and juices run clear. Serve on buns with caramelized onions.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 311 calories, 12g fat (3g saturated fat), 76mg cholesterol, 596mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 2g fiber), 21g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Turkey Burger with Caramelized Onions in Taste of Home August/September 2007