Turkey Burgers with Blueberry BBQ Sauce
I concocted this entrée after researching the nutrition benefits of blueberries. The fruity sauce complements the poultry patties, and mushrooms and spinach add a gourmet garnish.—Lori Merrick, Danvers, Illinois
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries, thawed
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, chopped
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 4 slices reduced-fat provolone cheese
- 4 whole wheat hamburger buns, split
- 1/2 cup fresh baby spinach
- In a large skillet, cook onion and garlic in oil over medium heat until tender. Stir in the blueberries, brown sugar, pepper, vinegar, mustard and Worcestershire sauce. Cook and stir until thickened, about 10 minutes. Cool slightly. Transfer to a food processor; cover and process until smooth.
- Shape turkey into four patties; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place mushrooms on a double thickness of heavy-duty foil (about 12 in. square). Fold foil around mushrooms and seal tightly.
- Grill burgers and mushroom packet, covered, over medium heat for 5-7 minutes on each side or until a thermometer inserted into the burgers reads 165° and juices run clear. Top burgers with cheese; cover and grill 1-2 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
- Place buns, cut side down, on grill for 1-2 minutes or until toasted. Serve burgers on buns with mushrooms, spinach and blueberry sauce.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 burger: 433 calories, 16g fat (5g saturated fat), 100mg cholesterol, 912mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 6g fiber), 30g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 3 starch, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Grilled Turkey Burgers with Blueberry BBQ Sauce in Country Woman August/September 2011