Turkey, Blue Cheese and Onion Pie
I used blue cheese and turkey to add extra appeal to a basic onion pie. Hearty and filling, it's a welcome meal on a cold day! —Bridget Klusman, Otsego, Michigan
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups sliced onions
- 1-1/2 cups finely chopped cooked turkey
- 2/3 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1-1/4 cups 2% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Minced fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 425°. On a lightly floured surface, roll pastry dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond rim of plate; flute edge. Refrigerate while preparing filling.
- In a large skillet, heat butter over medium-low heat; cook onions until soft, 15-18 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cool slightly.
- Layer turkey, onions and cheese in crust. In a bowl, whisk together eggs, milk and seasonings; pour over top.
- Bake on a lower oven rack 10 minutes. Reduce oven setting to 350°; bake until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean, 40-50 minutes. Let stand 15 minutes before cutting. Sprinkle with parsley.
Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches): Combine 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour and 1/4 tsp. salt; cut in 1/2 cup cold butter until crumbly. Gradually add 3-5 Tbsp. ice water, tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate 1 hour.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 351 calories, 22g fat (13g saturated fat), 169mg cholesterol, 536mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 17g protein.
Originally published as Turkey, Blue Cheese and Onion Pie in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2018