Turkey Bean Soup Recipe
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 can (49-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1 can (15 ounces) cannellini or white kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup frozen lima beans
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- 1. In a Dutch oven, cook the turkey, onion and celery in oil over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add the broth, corn, beans, chilies, oregano, cumin, chili powder and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until heated through. Serve with cheese if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
1-1/2 cups: 259 calories, 11g fat (3g saturated fat), 39mg cholesterol, 1052mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 6g fiber), 16g protein.
Reviews for Turkey Bean Soup
"This soup is amazing! I have made it three times so far and plan to make it many more times. The first time I made it without the cumin (didn't have any). The second time I made it with the cumin exactly as the recipe states. The third time I determined I like the cumin somewhere in the middle, so I cut the cumin amount in half and that seems to be perfect for my taste. I do not put cheese on top of the soup either. I think its great without it."
"I made this with roasted turkey as well. I used cranberry beans from a local farm and a bit of tumerric to bring the color of the broth to a nice yellow. Great for a holiday weekend meal...maybe today we will have time for games."
"I made this with a couple of minor substitutions, I used leftover roast turkey instead of the ground turkey and canned butter beans instead of the frozen Limas. I also added 3 cloves of garlic because we are a garlic loving family. This was so good, that my husband wants this put on my regular rotation. This recipe uses many ingredients I already keep in my kitchen, so it will be an easy dish to make often. We really liked this."
"Very easy and very tasty. We choose to use all cannellini and left out the lima beans. It is even better reheated the next day."