Turkey Barley Soup
I originally created this turkey barley soup as a way to use Thanksgiving leftovers. I think you'll agree it's too good to serve only once a year! It makes a hearty meal with homemade bread. —Jodi Jeude, Carbondale, Colorado
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 70 min.
Makes8 servings (2 quarts)
- 1-1/2 cups sliced carrots
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 9 cups turkey broth
- 2 cups cubed cooked turkey
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a 3-qt. saucepan, saute carrots, mushrooms, celery and onion in oil for 20 minutes or until tender. Add remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 50-60 minutes or until barley is tender. Discard bay leaves before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 174 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 1094mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 15g protein.
Originally published as Turkey Barley Soup in Home-Style Soups, Salad and Sandwiches Cookbook