Cayenne and lemon pepper add zip to this tantalizing shredded turkey that will have guests lining up for seconds. The well-seasoned meat takes some time to prepare, but it's well worth the effort. -Tammy Schill, Omaha, Nebraska
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 turkey (about 12 pounds)
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons steak sauce
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 2 to 3 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 12 sandwich rolls, split
- Lettuce leaves and tomato slices, optional
- Place turkey, breast side up, on a rack in a roasting pan. Combine the butter, Worcestershire sauce, steak sauce and seasonings; rub 3 tablespoons over turkey. Cover and refrigerate remaining butter mixture. Bake turkey, uncovered, at 325° for 3 to 3-1/2 hours or until a thermometer reads 180°, basting occasionally with pan drippings.
- Remove turkey; pour drippings into a saucepan. When turkey is cool enough to handle, remove meat from the bones. Shred turkey and return to the roasting pan. Add broth and remaining butter mixture to the drippings; bring to a rolling boil. Pour over shredded turkey.
- Cover and bake at 325° for 25-30 minutes or until heated through. Serve on rolls with lettuce and tomato if desired. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Turkey Barbecue in Taste of Home December/January 2003, p31
Reviews forTurkey Barbecue
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Mar. 7, 2015
"This is a DELICIOUS recipe! Great for a crowd. I served it at my son's birthday party and it was a huge hit!"