Preparation is effortless when you use Rosemary Barton‘s recipe for this comforting favorite. “This a la king is great served over mashed potatoes, too,“ adds Rosemary from Ann Arbor, Michigan.
Recommended: Top 10 Turkey Leftovers
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- Dash salt and pepper
- 1-1/2 cups cubed cooked turkey breast
- 2 teaspoons diced pimientos
- 2 slices bread, toasted
- In a small saucepan, saute mushrooms and green pepper in butter for 3-4 minutes or until crisp-tender. Stir in the flour, broth, milk, salt and pepper until blended. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 1-2 minutes longer or until thickened.
- Add the turkey and pimientos; heat through. Serve over toast. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Turkey a la King in Cooking for 2 Winter 2007, p9