Turkey 'n' Squash Lasagna Recipe
- 1 medium spaghetti squash (2 to 2-1/2 pounds)
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/3 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 carton (15 ounces) reduced-fat ricotta cheese
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced
- 6 lasagna noodles, cooked and drained
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1. With a sharp knife, pierce spaghetti squash 10 times. Place on a microwave-safe plate; microwave on high for 5-6 minutes. Turn; cook 4-5 minutes longer or until fork-tender. Cover and let stand for 15 minutes. Cut squash in half lengthwise; discard seeds. Scoop out squash, separating strands with a fork; set aside.
- 2. In a large saucepan, cook turkey and onion in 1-1/2 teaspoons oil over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, parsley, sugar and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine the egg, ricotta and 3/4 cup Parmesan until blended. In a small skillet, saute zucchini in remaining oil until crisp-tender.
- 4. Spread 1-1/2 cups meat sauce into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Layer with three noodles and half of the zucchini, spaghetti squash and ricotta mixture. Sprinkle with 1-1/2 cups mozzarella and half of remaining sauce. Top with the remaining noodles, zucchini, spaghetti squash, ricotta mixture and sauce (dish will be full).
- 5. Place dish on a baking sheet. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45-55 minutes or until edges are bubbly. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses. Bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 12 servings.
1 piece: 311 calories, 12g fat (5g saturated fat), 72mg cholesterol, 548mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 5g fiber), 22g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1 fat.
Reviews for Turkey 'n' Squash Lasagna
"It is a bit time consuming, but definitely tasty! I cut the cheese a bit to save on calories, but it was still great!"
"I have made this lasagna a couple of time and I'm getting ready to make it again. I love the sweet taste that the spaghetti squash gives and I also love the zucchini in it as well."
"This is a sure keeper! This was DELICIOUS, healthy, and comforting. I did leave out the zucchini and added a bit of extra sugar to sweeten the sauce a bit more (for the hubs). All in all - YUM!!"
"This has to be the yummiest lasagna I've ever eaten. I did use 2 cans of crushed tomatoes with Italian seasoning, in addition to the herbs in the recipe, and maybe that made it more flavorful. Sometimes spaghetti squash can be kind of tricky too...sometimes too mushy or kind of bland. But, I have to say this was a comforting and delicious recipe that my boyfriend wants me to make when his parents come to visit!!"
"I made this and it had hardly any flavor at all. I also felt it was very time consuming to make."
"I love this recipe!! I use whole wheat lasagna noodles and its still absolutely delicious!!"