Have the deli at home with Natalie Bremson's spin on classic tuna salad. The Plantation, Florida cook uses the bright flavors of mint and lemon to enhance the tuna, leaving you feeling refreshed and satisfied.
Recommended: 32 Favorite Mediterranean Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/4 cup bulgur
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1 plum tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped peeled cucumber
- 2 tablespoons chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh mint or 3/4 teaspoon dried mint
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (3 ounces) solid white tuna, drained and flaked
- 1 lettuce leaf
- Place bulgur in a small bowl; stir in water. Cover and let stand for 30 minutes or until water is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the tomato, cucumber, onion, lemon juice, parsley, oil, mint, salt and pepper. Drain bulgur and squeeze dry. Gently stir bulgur and tuna into tomato mixture. Chill until serving.
- To serve, line a serving plate with lettuce leaf; top with tuna mixture. Yield: 1 serving.
Originally published as Tuna Tabbouleh Salad in Cooking for 2 Winter 2009, p42