Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2 cans (6-1/8 ounces each) water-packed tuna, drained
- 1/2 cup seasoned dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 4 medium fresh tomatoes
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Sour cream, optional
- In a bowl, separate tuna into very small pieces. Add bread crumbs, onion, mustard, cayenne pepper, Italian seasoning and egg; mix well. In a medium saucepan, cook mixture for 2-3 minutes over medium heat. Set aside. Slice off 1/2 in. of each tomato top. Leaving a 1/4-in.-thick shell, scoop out pulp and discard. Spoon tuna mixture into shells and place in a baking dish. Top with mozzarella cheese and brown lightly under broiler. Garnish with sour cream if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 238 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 88mg cholesterol, 397mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 21g protein.
Jun 15, 2010
This sounded really good but not sure about only cooking that GLOP with the raw egg in it for 2 or 3 minutes. Then putting it under the broiler to just brown the cheese topping wouldn't further cook it. Might rethink it and sub something else for the raw egg. Anyone else have a thought on the matter ???
Jun 14, 2010
I added minced shallots instead of the onion and diced celery, drizzled a little E.V.O.O. over the top and baked for 20 min. before broiling - FANTASTIC!! Also used provolone cheese with the mozzarella, and yummo!!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.