One exceptional entree Sherri gets cracking on in advance is her Tuna Cheese Omelet. "I try to keep containers of chopped mushrooms, olives and onions in the refrigerator to cut down on prep time," she reveals. "This is the kind of recipe friends will request after just one bite.
Recommended: 32 Favorite Mediterranean Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3 fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped ripe olives
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon butter or margarine
- 6 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup canned tuna, drained and flaked
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, saute the mushrooms, olives, onion and garlic in butter. In a bowl, lightly beat the eggs and milk; pour over vegetables. Cook over medium heat; as eggs set, lift edges, letting uncooked portion flow underneath.
- When the eggs are nearly set, sprinkle with tuna, seasonings and cheese. Remove from the heat; let stand for 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted. Cut into wedges. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Tuna Cheese Omelet in Quick Cooking May/June 2001, p15