This eye-catching dessert will be the talk of the party—especially if guests find out how easy it is to make. Store-bought truffles and chopped hazelnuts add holiday pizzazz to an ordinary boxed cake mix.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Recommended: 78 Christmas Potluck Desserts for 12 or More
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 jar (12-1/4 ounces) caramel ice cream topping
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 6 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3/4 cup chopped hazelnuts
- Assorted truffles
- Prepare and bake cake according to package directions, using two greased 9-in. square baking pans. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat butter until light and fluffy. Beat in the caramel topping, milk and vanilla until smooth. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar until smooth.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with 1 cup frosting. Top with remaining cake layer. Frost top and sides of cake with remaining frosting. Press hazelnuts into sides of cake. Top cake with truffles. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Truffle-Topped Cake in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2008, p76