True Love Truffles
Total TimePrep: 50 min. + chilling
- 1 tablespoon plus 3/4 cup butter, divided
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
- 2 packages (4.67 ounces each) mint Andes candies
- 1 jar (7 ounces) marshmallow creme
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 22 ounces white baking chocolate, divided
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Green food coloring, optional
- Butter a 15x10x1-in. pan with 1 tablespoon butter; set aside. In a heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, milk and remaining butter. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat; cook and stir until a candy thermometer reads 236° (soft-ball stage). Remove from the heat. Stir in candies until melted and mixture is well blended. Stir in marshmallow creme and vanilla until smooth. Spread into prepared pan; cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Cut into 96 pieces; roll each into a ball (mixture will be soft). Place on a waxed paper-lined baking sheet.
- In a heavy saucepan or microwave-safe bowl, melt 18 oz. of white chocolate and chocolate chips. Dip balls in melted chocolate; place on waxed paper to harden. Melt the remaining white chocolate; add food coloring if desired. Drizzle over truffles. Store in an airtight container.
Editor's NoteWe recommend that you test your candy thermometer before each use by bringing water to a boil; the thermometer should read 212°. Adjust your recipe temperature up or down based on your test.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 161 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 52mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Feb 22, 2015
Very messy unless rolled and dipped quickly. Results are yummy though.
Dec 28, 2014
These were very good!
Sep 6, 2014
So minty and delicious. Very rich, even for a truffle. Pretty easy to make.
Dec 27, 2012
These were very tasty. I would half the recipe next time. Any recommendations on how to dip in the chocolate to make it easier?
Dec 19, 2012
These are absolutely delicious. This recipe has been added to our "must have for Christmas holiday" list of treats.
Nov 15, 2012
Sorry, I have not made this recipe, so I gave it 5 stars because that's what it already had. Can you make the balls ahead of time and then freeze them and when ready, thaw and coat with the chocolate??
Feb 16, 2010
I have been making these for years also, at Christmas. They are fantastic. My granddaughters loved rolling and dipping these. Has become a family tradition.
Feb 14, 2010
True love truffles are fun and easy to make, and they taste absolutely delicious. They're a delight to share on Valentine's Day, and will be a keeper in our house for a long time to come.