Tropical Turkey Meat Loaf
I modified another recipe to come up with this wonderful moist, tender meat loaf. The pineapple-jalapeno picante is a sweet and tangy topping. —Frances Page, Ontario, California
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 1 hour
Makes8 servings (2/3 cup sauce)
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 1 can (8 ounces) unsweetened crushed pineapple, undrained, divided
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped jalapeno pepper
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- Pinch pepper
- In a bowl, combine egg substitute, 1/3 cup pineapple and the seasonings. Add bread crumbs; mix well. Crumble meat over mixture; mix well. Press into an 8x4-in. loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Top with 1 tablespoon pineapple. Bake at 350° for 1 to 1-1/4 hours or until a thermometer reads 165°.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine onions, jalapeno, honey, lime juice, pepper and remaining pineapple. Serve with the meat loaf.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 174 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 25mg cholesterol, 387mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 24g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 fruit.
Originally published as Tropical Turkey Meat Loaf in Taste of Home February/March 2000
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.