This refreshing dish is an excellent accompaniment to any meal on a hot day. I also enjoy it during the cold months—the blend of crunch cabbage, sweet fruit and chewy coconut seems to mentally transport me to a warm tropical island. It goes over well at potlucks. —Anna Marie Nicholas, Americus, Georgia
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple tidbits
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 medium firm banana, sliced
- 3 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 cup miniature marshmallows
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup raisins
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup pineapple yogurt
- Drain the pineapple, reserving 2 tablespoons juice; set pineapple aside. Stir lemon juice and banana into reserved juice.
- In a large salad bowl, combine the cabbage, oranges, marshmallows, coconut, walnuts, raisins, salt, pineapple and banana mixture. Add yogurt; toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 269 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 165mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (35g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Tropical Slaw in Taste of Home October/November 2001