Tropical Salad Bar
A zippy lime vinaigrette perfectly blends the sunny flavors in the Leafy Greens Council recipe featuring fresh green and pineapple, oranges and bananas.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 1/3 cup vinegar
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon grated onion
- 4 cups torn leaf lettuce
- 1 cup torn curly endive
- 1 cup torn escarole
- 1 fresh pineapple, trimmed and cut into pieces
- 3 large oranges, peeled and sectioned
- 1 large firm banana, sliced
- Sweetened shredded coconut
- In a small saucepan, bring vinegar and lime juice to a boil. In a medium bowl, combine the sugar, salt, mustard, celery seed and paprika. Add lime juice mixture and stir until sugar dissolves. Whisk in oil and onion until dressing is well mixed and slightly thickened; transfer to a carafe or serving dish. Chill.
- Just before serving, place greens in a large bowl. Arrange fruit on a plate or shallow bowl and sprinkle with coconut. Pass greens, fruit and dressing separately or place on a buffet.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 403 calories, 28g fat (4g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 302mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (35g sugars, 4g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Tropical Salad Bar in Taste of Home June/July 1994
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.