Weekends are hectic in my house and we rarely find time to have breakfast together. When I make this special French toast on a Saturday morning, my boys are more than happy to help in the kitchen and eat together!—Amie Carlock, Brick, New Jersey
Recommended: 55 Food Truck Copycat Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 loaf (1-1/2 pounds) day-old multigrain bread, unsliced
- 4 large eggs
- 1 can (13.66 ounces) coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil, divided
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 peeled medium mango, chopped
- Sweetened shredded coconut, toasted
- Cut bread into 3/4-in. slices; place in a single layer in a 15x10-in. rimmed baking pan. Whisk together eggs, coconut milk, vanilla and salt. Carefully pour egg mixture evenly over bread; let stand 20 minutes.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons coconut oil over medium heat. Cook bread in batches until golden brown, 3-4 minutes per side, adding remaining coconut oil as necessary. Meanwhile, beat heavy cream until it begins to thicken. Add sugar and coconut extract; beat until soft peaks form.
- Top French toast with chopped mango, whipped cream and toasted flaked coconut. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Tropical French Toast in Breakfast & Brunch Bookazine 2016, p54