Tropical Chicken Kabobs
For a deliciously sweet grilling dish, this recipe will exceed your expectations. It is has a wonderful variety of vegetables and even if you family doesn't like vegetables, they will love this dish.—Taste of Home Cooking School, Greendale, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + marinating Grill: 10 min.
Makes4 servings (2 kabobs each)
- 1 bottle (11-1/2 ounces) sweet-and-sour sauce, divided
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice
- 2 tablespoons teriyaki sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs, cut into 1-1/2-inch cubes
- 2 medium sweet red peppers
- 2 medium green peppers
- 2 medium onions
- 1 fresh pineapple, washed and top removed
- Crushed red pepper flakes
- 8 cherry tomatoes, optional
- Hot cooked rice
- In a bowl, combine 1/2 cup sweet-and-sour sauce, pineapple juice, teriyaki sauce and garlic. Pour half of marinade into a large resealable plastic bag; add chicken. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate about 15 minutes. Set aside remaining marinade.
- Meanwhile, cut peppers into 1-in. pieces and onions into wedges. Core pineapple; cut crosswise into 1/2-in. slices. Cut each slice into 4-6 wedges.
- Drain chicken, discarding marinade. On metal or soaked bamboo skewers, alternate meat with onions, peppers and pineapple. Brush kabobs with reserved marinade. Sprinkle with crushed red pepper flakes.
- Grill, uncovered, over medium heat for 4-5 minutes on each side. Baste with marinade. Continue turning and basting for 10-12 minutes longer or until chicken is no longer pink, adding tomatoes to kabobs during the last 5 minutes of cooking if desired. Serve with rice. Serve remaining sweet-and-sour sauce on the side.
Originally published as Tropical Chicken Kabobs in Quick Cooking Onstage Presents: Entertaining Outdoors Spring 2005
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.