- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3-1/2 to 4 pounds), cut up
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil, divided
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 medium tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 3 cups fresh or canned pineapple chunks
- 1/4 cup pineapple juice
- 1 hot red pepper (4-1/2 to 5 inches), seeded and chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1/2 pound fresh snow peas
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- Hot cooked rice
- In a skillet over medium heat, brown the chicken in 2 tablespoons of oil; remove and set aside. In the same skillet, saute the onion and garlic in remaining oil until tender. Add tomatoes, pineapple, pineapple juice, red pepper, salt, pepper and water chestnuts. Return chicken to the pan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes. Add peas and chives; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until peas are tender and chicken juices run clear. thicken the pan juices if desired. Serve over rice. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forTropical Chicken
"Wow. This was really good. I didn't have snow peas, chestnuts, or chile peppers. I added green bell peppers, chile pepper flakes and frozen stir fry vegetables. Yummy."
"I liked this recipe and didn't find it greasy, but I'd cut down a little on the hot pepper next time, I'm pretty much a "wuss" when it comes to heat. My husband thought it should be hotter!"