Tropical Beef and Noodles
Pineapple and mandarin oranges provide a marvelous flavor boost to ground beef in this skillet recipe.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 4 cups uncooked egg noodles
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 can (15 ounces) mandarin oranges
- 1 can (8 ounces) unsweetened pineapple chunks
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/3 cup salted whole cashews
- 1/3 cup sweetened shredded coconut, toasted
- Cook noodles according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain.
- Drain mandarin oranges and pineapple, reserving juices. Set fruit aside. In a small bowl, whisk cornstarch and reserved juices until smooth; stir in the lemon juice, soy sauce, garlic powder, salt and nutmeg. Pour over beef.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the cashews, oranges and pineapple. Cook for 2 minutes or until heated through. Drain noodles; top with beef mixture. Sprinkle with coconut.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 528 calories, 21g fat (9g saturated fat), 92mg cholesterol, 569mg sodium, 54g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 3g fiber), 29g protein.
Originally published as Tropical Beef and Noodles in Weeknight Cooking Made Easy 2005