Don't limit your use of bananas to the cereal bowl. Instead, send your taste buds on a "trip" to the tropics with this special speedy dessert. Bananas are available in every season...so this is bound to become a favorite all year-round.
Recommended: Extra-Special Recipes for Breakfast in Bed
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3 medium firm bananas
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons sweetened shredded coconut, toasted
- Maraschino cherries or strawberries, optional
- Cut bananas in half lengthwise, then cut widthwise into quarters. Arrange in a greased 11x7-in. baking dish.
- In a saucepan, combine orange juice, butter and brown sugar; cook and stir until sugar is dissolved and butter is melted. Pour over the bananas.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 10-12 minutes. Spoon into individual serving dishes; sprinkle with coconut. Garnish with cherries or strawberries if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Tropical Banana Compote in Taste of Home Meals in Minutes Calendar Annual 1997, p5