Tropical Banana Compote
Don't limit your use of bananas to the cereal bowl. Instead, send your taste buds on a "trip" to the tropics with this special speedy dessert. Bananas are available in every season...so this is bound to become a favorite all year-round.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 3 medium firm bananas
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons sweetened shredded coconut, toasted
- Maraschino cherries or strawberries, optional
- Cut bananas in half lengthwise, then cut widthwise into quarters. Arrange in a greased 11x7-in. baking dish.
- In a saucepan, combine orange juice, butter and brown sugar; cook and stir until sugar is dissolved and butter is melted. Pour over the bananas.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 10-12 minutes. Spoon into individual serving dishes; sprinkle with coconut. Garnish with cherries or strawberries if desired.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 192 calories, 7g fat (5g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 70mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (29g sugars, 2g fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Tropical Banana Compote in 1997 Taste of Home Calendar