VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 pound lean boneless pork, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 4 ounces fully cooked ham, diced
- 4 bacon strips, diced
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, julienned
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1 to 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and sliced, optional
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the first 10 ingredients. Seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
- Drain and discard marinade. In a large skillet, cook pork mixture in oil over medium heat for 5-6 minutes. Stir in rice; cook for 3 minutes. Add broth and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until pork is tender.
- Stir in beans; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 5 minutes longer or until rice is tender. Garnish with avocado if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Triple Pork with Rice in Country Extra May 2005, p51