Triple-Layer Mocha Cake Recipe
This rich cake is tall and delicious with a special frosting. It makes a dramatic presentation.—Mark Brown, Birmingham, Alabama
- 1 cup shortening
- 2-1/2 cups sugar
- 5 eggs, separated
- 5 tablespoons strong brewed coffee
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups cake flour
- 4 teaspoons baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 5-1/2 to 6 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking cocoa
- 1-1/2 cups butter or margarine, softened
- 3 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons strong brewed coffee
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1. In a mixing bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in coffee and vanilla. Combine dry ingredients; add to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk. In another bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into batter. Pour into three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 2. For frosting, combine confectioners' sugar and cocoa. In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar mixture. Beat in coffee and vanilla. Spread between layers and over top and sides of cake. Yield: 12-14 servings.
1 piece: 764 calories, 36g fat (16g saturated fat), 129mg cholesterol, 415mg sodium, 107g carbohydrate (80g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Reviews for Triple-Layer Mocha Cake
© 2018 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC