Triple-Layer Mocha Bars
Layered with flavors of malted milk, coffee and coconut, these rich blue-ribbon bars win rave reviews every holiday season.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min.
MakesAbout 3 dozen
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup chocolate malted milk powder
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons chocolate malted milk powder
- 2 tablespoons brewed coffee
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, combine the flour and brown sugar; cut in butter until crumbly. Press into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown.
- In another large bowl, beat eggs until foamy. Add the sugar and vanilla; mix well. Combine the malted milk powder, flour, baking soda and salt; add to egg mixture. Fold in the coconut and walnuts.
- Spread over prepared crust. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, combine the frosting ingredients. Spread over cooled bars. Store in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 172 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 30mg cholesterol, 162mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Triple-Layer Mocha Bars in Country Woman Christmas 2004