A year-round family favorite, the recipe for this moist layer cake was passed on to me by my mother. My grandchildren can't keep their fingers out of the icing, which tastes just like peanut butter fudge.
Recommended: 31 Easy Quick Bread Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 3 medium)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 6 tablespoons peanut butter
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 5-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 8 to 10 tablespoons 2% milk
- Peanut halves, optional
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in bananas and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- Pour into three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat the peanut butter and butter until smooth. Beat in confectioners' sugar and enough milk to achieve spreading consistency. Frost between layers and over top and sides of cake. Garnish with peanuts if desired. Yield: 14 servings.
Originally published as Triple-Layer Banana Cake in Country Woman May/June 2003, p29
Reviews forTriple-Layer Banana Cake
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review