Triple Cheese Twists
Our stovetop macaroni and cheese is extra special, thanks to the buttery crumb topping. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 package (16 ounces) spiral pasta
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, saute onion and garlic in 4 tablespoons butter until tender. Stir in the flour until blended. Gradually add milk and broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in cheeses until melted.
- Melt the remaining butter; stir in bread crumbs and Italian seasoning. Drain pasta; toss with cheese sauce. Sprinkle with seasoned bread crumbs.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 527 calories, 24g fat (15g saturated fat), 71mg cholesterol, 644mg sodium, 57g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 2g fiber), 21g protein.
Originally published as Triple Cheese Twists in Your Family March/April 2003
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.