Trio of Chocolate Truffles
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + chilling
Makesabout 3 dozen
- 12 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 4 large egg yolks, beaten
- 1 tablespoon rum
- 1-1/2 teaspoons instant coffee granules
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1 tablespoon Cognac or brandy
- 4-1/2 teaspoons orange liqueur
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1 tablespoon baking cocoa
- 3 tablespoons grated chocolate
- 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 teaspoons shortening
- In a double boiler or metal bowl over simmering water, heat chocolate and butter until melted, stirring frequently. Whisk a small amount of mixture into egg yolks. Return all to the pan, whisking constantly. Cook and stir until mixture is thickened and coats the back of a spoon.
- Remove from the heat; divide mixture among three small bowls. Into one bowl, stir rum and coffee granules until smooth. Stir raisins and Cognac into another; stir orange liqueur and zest into the third bowl.
- Cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle. Shape into 1-in. balls.
- Roll the coffee-flavored truffles in cocoa; roll the raisin-flavored truffles in grated chocolate.
- In a microwave, melt bittersweet chocolate and shortening; stir until smooth. Dip orange-flavored truffles in melted chocolate; allow excess to drip off. Place on waxed paper-lined baking sheets.
- Refrigerate truffles for 2 hours or until firm. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 94 calories, 8g fat (4g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 13mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 fat, 1/2 starch.
Dec 11, 2013
I followed the directions plus I made sure to keep the steam from my double boiler out of the chocolate (so it wouldn't seize), but when I mixed in the liqueurs, all three bowls started to curdle and the liquid separated slightly. They smell amazing, but I'm not sure how they are going to turn out when it's time to roll them into balls. Any advice out there?