Tricolor Braid Recipe
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2-1/3 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 3-1/3 to 3-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- WHEAT DOUGH:
- 2 tablespoons toasted wheat germ
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 cup plus 2 to 5 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- PUMPERNICKEL DOUGH:
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 cup plus 2 to 5 tablespoons rye flour
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add butter, honey, salt and 2-1/3 cups flour; beat for 2 minutes. Divide evenly among three bowls.
- 2. To the first bowl, stir in enough remaining all-purpose flour to form a stiff dough.
- 3. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and set aside.
- 4. Add wheat germ and molasses to the second bowl. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough wheat flour to make a stiff dough.
- 5. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and set aside.
- 6. Add cocoa and molasses to the third bowl. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough rye flour to make a stiff dough.
- 7. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover. Let all three bowls rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 8. Punch doughs down; divide each in half. Shape each portion into a 15-in. rope. Place a rope of each dough on a greased baking sheet and braid; seal ends. Repeat with remaining ropes.
- 9. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes. Beat egg white and water; brush over braids.
- 10. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 loaves (12 slices each).
Editor's Note: Use all-purpose flour on kneading surfaces for all three doughs.
1 slice: 146 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 319mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Reviews for Tricolor Braid
"it turned out very beautiful and yummy. took a bit more effort but was well worth it!"
"This bread did take time, but was well worth it! Because I knead my dough in my kitchenaid mixer, I split up the dough in three cereal bowls and took turns mixing the different doughs in my mixer. My husband and I went through a half loaf, so we will probably only get 4 servings not the 24. LOL"