This fun Halloween cake looks like a giant trick-or-treat bag with lots of sugary candy spilling out of it. I came up with the idea after reminiscing with my sisters about the times we went trick-or-treating together. —Amy McCoy, Huntington Beach, California
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 1 package chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) vanilla frosting
- 1 tube each black, orange and green decorating gel
- Assorted candies
- Prepare and bake cake according to package directions, using a greased and floured 13x9-in. baking pan. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Transfer the cake to a 20x17-in. covered board. Cut a zigzag pattern on one short end of cake to resemble the top of a treat bag. Spread top and sides of cake with frosting; decorate, as desired, with gels and candies.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Trick or Treat Cake in Taste of Home October/November 2006