Tree and Star Crab Sandwiches
To cool off during summer—or any season at all—try the finger food that starts with a flavorful crab filling from Karen Gardiner. "I regularly serve the spread at Christmas get-togethers," she relates from Eutaw, Alabama. "It's a hit every time." For sandwiches, the CT kitchen staff added her mix to bread shaped with cookie cutters.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 3/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 can (6 ounces) crabmeat, drained, flaked and cartilage removed
- 2 tablespoons prepared French salad dressing
- 1/2 teaspoon prepared horseradish
- Dash hot pepper sauce
- 48 bread slices
- Fresh dill sprigs
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients; set aside. Using 2-1/2-in. cookie cutters, cut stars and Christmas trees out of bread (two stars or trees from each slice).
- Spread half of the cutouts with crab mixture; top with remaining cutouts. Garnish with dill.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 209 calories, 9g fat (2g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 370mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Tree and Star Crab Sandwiches in Crafting Traditions July/August 1999
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.