- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (4 to 5 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 large onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) Italian stewed tomatoes
- 1-3/4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into eighths
- In a Dutch oven, brown roast on all sides over medium-high heat in oil. Remove roast and set aside.
- Add the onions, carrots, celery, tomatoes, water, salt, thyme and pepper to the pan. Bring to a boil. Return roast to pan. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2 hours.
- Add potatoes. Cover; cook 30-40 minutes longer or until meat and vegetables are tender. Yield: 12-14 servings.
Reviews forTraditional Yankee Pot Roast
"yummy I've made this recipe alot it is one of my favorites."
"My family loved it. It took the veges a lot longer to cook than the recipe call for. We ate an hour or more later than planned. I would allow more time when making this."
"I DID THIS RECIPE AND I ADDED AND CHANGED A COUPLE OF INGREDIENTS. I DIDNT USE POTATOES OR SALT. I USED chicken BOUILLON AND DID RICE FOR MY SIDE DISH. IT WAS REALLY GOOD. MY CO-WORKERS LOVED IT AND I PASSED THE RECIPE ON."