- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1/4 cup mashed potato flakes
- 1/4 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups water
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. In a small saucepan, heat water and oil to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat until blended. Beat in eggs until smooth. Stir in enough all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 8-10 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Shape into loaves. Place in two greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to cool on wire racks. Yield: 2 loaves.
Reviews forTraditional Whole Wheat Bread
"Very good and tasty recipe, used egg whites instead of whole eggs."