- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4-3/4 to 5-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup mixed candied fruit
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, butter, sugar, eggs, lemon peel, salt and 3 cups flour. Add the raisins, candied fruit and almonds. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
- Punch dough down and divide in half; cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Roll or press each half into a 12-in. x 7-in. oval. Fold a long side over to within 1 in. of opposite side; press edge lightly to seal. Place on greased baking sheets; curve ends slightly. Cover and let rise until nearly doubled, about 1 hour.
- Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on wire racks. Combine confectioners' sugar and enough milk to achieve desired consistency; spread over stollen. Yield: 2 loaves.
Reviews forTraditional Stollen
"This is very good. The only thing i did different was i spread the icing all over and added green and red cherries on top of the icing."