- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 6 tablespoons cold butter
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- Jam of your choice, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and baking soda. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a small bowl, whisk egg and buttermilk until blended; add to crumb mixture just until moistened.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface; gently knead 8-10 times. Divide dough in half; pat each portion into a 5-in. circle. Cut each circle into six wedges.
- Separate wedges and place 1 in. apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm with jam if desired. Yield: 1 dozen.
Reviews forTraditional Scones
"These remind me of the scones I had when I took my daughter's out to tea. They are the epitome of the traditional English scone. Crusty exterior with a light, fluffy inside. The perfect vehicle for your favorite jam, flavored butters or cream. This is my go to recipe for scones from now on. Perfection."
"I had been looking for a scone recipe that would showcase my homemade jam. I picked these because there were no added fruits or flavors. These were so easy to make and so good! Perfect with jam, butter, and/or honey."
"Wonderful! Light, easy, great tasting."