Total TimePrep: 30 min. + simmering Bake: 70 min. + standing
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3/4 pound bulk pork sausage
- 3 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 3 cups 4% Daisy small-curd cottage cheese
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 9 lasagna noodles, cooked and drained
- 6 slices provolone cheese (about 6 ounces)
- 3 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook and crumble beef and sausage until no longer pink; drain. Add next 7 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Adjust seasoning with additional salt and pepper, if desired.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, lightly beat eggs. Add parsley; stir in cottage cheese, ricotta and Parmesan cheese.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Spread 1 cup meat sauce in an ungreased 13x9-in. baking dish. Layer with 3 noodles, provolone cheese, 2 cups cottage cheese mixture, 1 cup mozzarella, 3 noodles, 2 cups meat sauce, remaining cottage cheese mixture and 1 cup mozzarella. Top with remaining noodles, meat sauce and mozzarella (dish will be full).
- Cover; bake 50 minutes. Uncover; bake until heated through, about 20 minutes. Let stand 15 minutes before cutting.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 503 calories, 27g fat (13g saturated fat), 136mg cholesterol, 1208mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 2g fiber), 36g protein.
Nov 20, 2019
Love the use of provolone cheese. I added a little more sauce.
Nov 18, 2019
Delicious recipe - I’ve used it more than once. I always make just a little more sauce - we’re sauce lovers. And one additional comment to Martin. Please keep your sexist comments off of Taste oh Home. If it’s beneath you, move on.
Sep 20, 2019
I was wary using pork sausage, but what a great flavor it added to this dish! This was a big hit with the family.
Jul 29, 2019
Love it! I typically use more ricotta and less cottage cheese because it's hard to find an 8 oz. container of ricotta. I prefer Italian sausage to plain pork sausage. Glad there is no onion because my daughter can't tolerate them. Yum!
Jul 14, 2019
I am making this right now,but...I need someone to explain the reason for provolone cheese Isn't to dry?
Jun 1, 2019
I changed 3 things, no sugar, used ricotta cheese
May 19, 2019
This recipe is absolutely amazing. I found this recipe 4 years ago when I had moved out on my own into my new house. This is my fourth time making it and it seems to get better every time!!!!! Good job taste of home!
Mar 31, 2019
Absolutely delicious! This was the best lasagna I have ever made! The tomato sauce was amazing. I made it exactly as written. I thought the seasoning would be a tad bland as it didn't seem like enough for the amount of sauce. I was wrong. It was perfect just the way it was. I haven't used sausage in my lasagna before and it will now be my norm!!!!!! This will be my go-to recipe from now on! Thanks Taste of Home!
Mar 24, 2019
I just have 1 question, can this particular recipe be made with no boil lasagna noodles??
Feb 9, 2019
I was so surprised by how delicious this lasagna turned out to be. I've now made it 3 times and now it's my favorite! I made it exactly as written.